Monday, December 28, 2009

December 28, 2009

First, my one year follow-up appointment with my spine surgeon in Baltimore was moved to 2010, so no update there.

Today doesn't have much significance with my spine (and subsequent) issues, but two events did occur on this day. First, my Grandpa G. passed away four years ago today from leukemia. He was a pillar of strength and brought a great deal of joy into my life and countless others. I always felt like he had my back even though we were usually hundreds of miles apart. When he died I was experiencing initial symptoms of the disc failure and implant reaction, and since he told me several times he was worried about my back it really bothered me that he died before I had a resolution. If there is a heaven he is certainly in it, and I hope he can see the progress that has been made and that everything will be ok.

The other significance is that a year ago the husband & I were in a hotel room in a suburb of Baltimore. We had starting packing up and preparing for a trip home; the idea was that I would be cleared to travel and go back home the next day. That Sunday night Brad got a call about his mom, who had been admitted to the hospital. She was never able to return home, but did live until late March of this year. Given everything else Brad had on his shoulders this was a shock and a lot of weight to handle, but he did so with grace, composure and strength. I know it was unbelievably difficult for him to have his wife on the east coast unable to do much after a double-surgery while his mom was in an Iowa hospital. Timing was horrible, but you can do minimal to plan life events.

I was hoping to close out this blog in 2009, but will keep it open until the visit with the surgeon. I don't see day-to-day changes, but when I look at things month-to-month I notice little differences. We just finished eight days on a Midwest vacation in Springfield, Kansas City, Des Moines and Davenport, and to my amazement we did a lot of stuff with very little pain. The last couple of days my back started getting sore and I couldn't lug the luggage around like I did early on, but overall I was pleased with what I was able to accomplish. At times I get impatient and wonder why I'm not further along, but there is progress in the right direction and I'm grateful for that.

I hope everyone had a wonderful Christmas holiday and I wish you all a very happy and successful 2010.

No comments: